Saturday, March 19, 2011

Fellow blogger shines light on Laredo Health Department's utter disregard of transparency

Laredoans deserve to get restaurant health inspection results free

Allan G. of of local blog Reality Check has revealed a very interesting policy of the Laredo Health Department. Apparently, the department  is complying with required health inspections of all local restaurants but the information is only available to taxpayers who are willing to fork over 5 bucks. And I don't mean 5 dollars for a report on all restaurants, it's 5 dollars Per restaurant! This is an absolutely ridiculous policy that has the effect of keeping vital, health-related information from Laredo consumers. What if some of the eating establishments in town consistently get failing marks on their inspections? Shouldn't all of us be made of aware of this? Why in the world would anyone have to spend $5 per report for information which is secured with public money.  In the past, the local TV news used to feature the inspection results once in a while but, come to think of it, it's been a long time since I've seen any.

It's time for Pro8news to live up to it's slogan of providing "coverage you can count on". We certainly think that is an issue of public concern and public safety. We urge all local media outlets to once again provide restaurant health inspection results to their fellow Laredoans. This is clearly another example of the City of Laredo tolerating policies that work to effectively hinder transparency in our local government.

Once again, thanks to Allan and the Reality Check blog for alerting the public to this important issue.

12 comments:

  1. A policy of posting "first inspection" ratings would cost the city only the amount of money it cost to produce the stickers. And just think, if the city was to fine any business $500 for removing the sticker if the owner did not like the rating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or as they say in the Pronto Insurance commercials "Hijo de su!". Good point Tom Wade, I don't know WHY IN THE WORLD would the Ldo Health dept have such a policy in place. It looks bad and smells bad. If they were an eating establishment, they probably wouldn't pass.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the support everyone. I hope we can keep the pressure on and get this changed.

    Thanks again!!

    AlanG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uh, are you sure?? I was visiting with Mr. Cisneros not long ago and we were just chatting about the reports he still posts for local news media to pick up. Even though he has them there, the news media has not picked them up in months. I thought about checking them out on my way out the door but I forgot. I should be seeing him again this week but I think he probably charges the restaurant for a copy but I understood that the reports were there for the viewing for news media. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. It might be the News media dropping the ball. I wonder why someone at the Health department made the $5 per recrod quote?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I imagine, only imagine, that there is an admin fee for getting someone to take the copies of it and use up resources for that copy. It is what some places do.

    I sent the guy an email, let me see what he says. It is sometimes best to try to get to the why of the situation hence, why I dont believe it until I hear it from the horses mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And... I was right. Will post about it later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, it's always good to get it from the horses mouth. I was always a fan of Mr. Eds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Finally posted, no te vayas a enjojar. The issue just needed a little more digging - http://quefregados.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/para-que-sepan-laredo-restaurant-inspections/

    ReplyDelete
  10. enojar? For enlightening me? N'est pas. I was not as reflective as I should've been. So..........did you get us the goods at what places to avoid?? No te creas. We don't want to take Tim Gutierrez's job away.

    ReplyDelete