Friday, April 1, 2011

From coca-cola's 6oz classic bottle to the Mega-Turbo, Super Big Gulp


@*%#!, Next time they better have the Larger one I wanted


From DFW.com

Thirty years ago, when 7-Eleven introduced its Big Gulp, the 32-ounce size was unheard of. The nation's cup holders were not prepared. But that 32-ounce cup is now standard at convenience stores, and it looks positively wee next to its 44- and 52-ounce siblings. And 7-Eleven has upped the ante: Its Double Gulp cup holds 64 ounces. Which is, yes, a half-gallon.

But it's not just 7-Eleven's fault. At the ballpark, we suck down frozen margaritas served in cups taller than a toddler. We gulp our beer from 16- and 18-ounce schooners. We guzzle our high-caffeine energy drinks from 16-ounce, 24-ounce, even 32-ounce cans. And Sonic Drive-in's "Route 44" drink? It's got 44 ounces and about 56,000 Facebook fans.

In 2008, a study at Duke University found that fast-food customers show "extremeness aversion" when offered a variety of sizes. In other words, they don't like to pick the smallest size. So if the small drink is 12 ounces, they'll opt for the 16-ounce drink that's one step up. If the 16-ounce drink is the smallest available size, they'll choose the 21-ounce cup. And so on.

 So. We might be gluttons, yes. But the companies who sell us drinks are doing their best to adjust the norm. And we -- sloshy, shaky, overcaffeinated -- are in no shape to stop them.

2 comments:

  1. I had a 32 oz. tea from Stripes yesterday. I filled the cup with a lot of ice. I don't think that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It don't help?? That's what I do. I fill up the 32 oz cup about 3/4s with ice. Oh and I also drink iced water at the same time I'm drinking my fountain drink. To me, it seems to cleanse my palate (are we talking about wine here?) and I enjoy the refreshing taste. Maybe I should cut back to the 20oz????...............Nambre!

    ReplyDelete