Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Smart phones and the disappearing art of conversation


Dilbert:2009 Scott Adams Inc.

For the sake of perspective, let me admit that I am not a big fan of the smart phone age. Perhaps because I have not really taken the time, nor had the patience to try to master its use. Furthermore, I don't really look forward to learning all its intricacies despite the conveniences I'm sure it offers. One reason for this lack of motivation is that I have too often witnessed how these digital wonders facilitate the rudeness of people to manifest itself. Time and time again,  I've seen people cutting off one another in the middle of a conversation  just to rescue an incoming call. To make things worse, some don't even bother to say "excuse, while I take this call" anymore.

Such habits illustrate the point I want to emphasize today. Smart phones make it way too easy for people to avoid one-on-one conversations. It essentially provides a buffer that protects them from having to talk to a fellow human being face to face. Next time you're sitting close to someone you don't know, make it a point to notice just how quickly they withdraw into the comfortable isolation of their digital excess. I'm sure they will have an apparent excuse. They might have to check their e-mail, browse the Internet or they may even  have to actually call someone, anyone. The problem is...... if whoever they're calling was sitting next to him/her, they'd probably still be fidgeting with their phone and doing the exact same thing.

2 comments:

  1. Cross over to the dark side... you can blog from a smart phone and you will never notice the rudeness of anyone else since you and your phone are one. We'll we waiting, muahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you forgot one "ha", Mua-ha-ha-ha-HA ! Blog from a smart phone, I have trouble typing with a keyboard.

    ReplyDelete