Sunday, August 28, 2011

of a sudden, a slew of butterfiles




Earlier today, I was quenching my thirst the old fashioned way-drinking directly from my garden hose when I noticed something different. By different, I mean I hadn't seen this happen all summer long. As a matter of fact, I don't know how long it's been. Anyway, as the water splattered around a nearby tree, a slew of butterflies starting fluttering about, up from the grass-well what's left of it in this drought. There were probably close to a hundred of them: little, brownish-gray butterflies.

Naturally, my mind started to try to make some sense of this "new" development in my yard. Why are there now butterflies where there hasn't been any in months. Although the temperature is 107 degrees, I couldn't help but wonder if this is just another subtle clue that our weather if finally starting to change from the Dog Days of Summer. It might be wishful thinking, but there is a slight, different feel outside.

Who knows? Maybe it's all psychological. We're heading into a new month, a new school year, a new football season and so maybe It just feels different. I did notice that Adriana Arce is forecasting 109 degrees for tomorrow, then a balmy 106 for Tuesday. After that, she showed on her graph, a relatively cool 102 degrees for the remainder of the week-with a chance of isolated showers even. I guess I better go and make sure I got my chamarras and chaquetas ready. You never know, we might just stay in the 90s soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment